If you are always on the go, you may find it hard to fit in a good workout during your day. There are many ways you can do this, but one of the best is to incorporate resistance bands into your daily routine. These bands are compact and easy to transport and will give you a lot of bang for your buck. You have probably seen them in your fitness store or even in the aisle of some of the hypermarkets. These little bands amp up the resistance of your workout and make even the shortest workout much more effective.
But with all the choices available, how do you know which ones are right for you? You need a good quality choice, so in this guide, we have taken the time to pull together the important information that may help you out. We have curated a list of the best resistance bands available as well as put together a buying guide that should help you make that decision with very little difficulty.
Top 5 Best Resistance Bands of 2021
OUR TOP PICK
With our first entry, let us introduce you to the first commercial resistance band. The Original Stretch Out Strap burst on to the scene in the early 90s, and many imitations have followed.
This resistance band has a lot of great features that pull together to form a high-quality work out tool that will help you build your strength. Some of the features and benefits of these resistance bands are:
- Exercise poster included
- Crafted with 10 separate loops for more options
- Extended length (6'4")
- Built with high-quality materials for better durability
- Compatible with multiple styles of exercise
- Heightened resistance for better assistance with unassisted stretching
What's in a name? Well, when you are dealing with the first of its kind, a name means a lot. Though many have come after and there have been advancements in the technology, this band still gives you absolutely everything you need. Built to last and offering ultimate versatility with its unique 10 loop design, The Original comes with the stamp of approval of most professionals, both in the medical and fitness field. Plus, you get a handy exercise poster that can help generate some creative uses for this resistance band.
The name also brings with it a little prestige and that traditionally means a heftier price tag. Plus, there is no color selection. You get green and there are no other choices to let the world know who you are. There have also been a few issues with the seam durability.
Truthfully, just take a step away from the few non-universal issues and you can enjoy the benefits you would reap from making this a part of your everyday workout routine. The Original is simply a great choice, which is why it has stood the test of time.
- Known product
- Exercise poster adds value and versatility
- Multiple loops for the diversity of exercises and uses
- Highly recommended by professionals
- The length offers a wide range of options
- High price
- No color selection
- Issues with stitch durability
- The multi-position grips combined with the length of the strap help to gradually stretch out your muscles.
- Paired with the strap is a 16"W x 21"l laminated poster which provides detailed illustrations of 20 different stretches for you to use.
- The poster features contract-relax techniques which combines isotonics, isometrics and prolonged stretches.
Using resistance when you are doing your pull-ups is a great way to build upper body strength and muscle. The team at WODFitters offers us our next entry that is specifically granted to do just that — be the best pull-up assistance bands on the market.
To call themselves the best pull-up assistance bands, the team at WODFitters constructed an asset of resistance and with some great features. The features they included are
- Multiple resistance levels (x5)
- Crafted in high-quality, durable materials
- Simple and easy to use design
- Easy to use color-coded system
- Comes in a single band or set
Though this band set is called a pull-up assistance set, they can be used for so much more, and that gives you even more value for your investment.
These resistance bands are some of the best on the market. Simple and straightforward, the inclusion of five different resistance levels all tied together with high-grade material leaves you with a set of bands that lasts for a long time.
They will set you back a bit if you go with the site, and though you will shell out over quite a sum of money, you will be guaranteed to get that money back in health and strength. If, however, you are working on a tight budget, you may need to keep reading. Other than the price, the only other issue is that the rubber has a strong smell. So, if you have a sensitive nose, you may not want to go with these resistance bands.
The overall quality and effectiveness are the biggest plus to these bands, and if you can handle a strong smell at first, you may well find yourself on the way to being as healthy as you set yo
- High-quality materials
- Multiple colors (different resistance levels)
- Good for various exercises
- Very durable
- May have a strong smell at first
- THE KING OF RESISTANCE BANDS - Introducing The King of Resistance Bands From WODFitters. Multiple layers of the highest quality latex fused into one to create THE ultimate resistance band.
- 5 RESISTANCE LEVELS - There are 5 bands, each with different resistance and power levels. #1 Red- 10 to 35 Pounds (1/2 " *4.5mm), #2 Black - 30 to 60 Pounds (3/4 " *4.5mm), #3 Purple- 40 to 80 Pounds...
- DESIGNED FOR HOME AND COMMERCIAL USE - designed for a variety of exercises and movements and will make for a great addition to your own gym, health club, physical therapy clinic, or personal...
Our next selection is from DYNAPRO, a big name in commercial gym equipment. These resistance bands are a great choice and come with the durability that DYNAPRO strives to deliver with every product that they offer.
DYNAPRO wanted to create a product that can take a beating and keep on ticking, so to say. To do that, they pay close attention to the features and materials that they use in constructing their resistance bands. This leads to the following features:
- Built-with a versatile range of resistance (5 – 170 lbs.)
- Designed to be compact and offer versatility in an exercise regiment
- Usability is easy anytime and anywhere
- Crafted with eco-friendly materials
- Snap-resistant technology including design
- Lifetime warranty
The quality of material used in this resistance band is absolutely the best thing about it. In fact, the overall design is a comfortable and easy-to-use way to help build strength. The handles (or areas to grab) are very comfortable and help assist with maintaining a good grip while using the bands.
The material is excellent and super durable, but there are a few issues that have been reported by recent buyers. The snap resistance tech seems to be a consistent issue. Many have said the bands snapping only a couple of months after use; the other flaw in the design is that may customers feel that the resistance level attached to each band is not accurate. This can make it too easy or too hard to work out. You may want to test them out and not just rely on the color to dictate the resistance level. The last thing is the price. Though many options on the market are much more expensive, the price does seem to be a bit much for some customers.
Even with the few flaws which haven't been raised to a global problem, if you invest in these resistance bands from DYNAPRO, you will undoubtedly be elevating your workout at the next level.
- High level of quality
- Designed with a comfortable handle
- Adjustable connection
- A bit pricey
- Problems with snap resistance durability
- Issues with resistance accuracy
- POWER EXERCISE BANDS- Single Blue Pull Up Band- These will not peel like others- Great for Power Lifting, these provide a variety of resistance levels, ranging from 5 to 170 lbs. Strengthen and...
- COMPACT AND VERSATILE so you can keep your workouts on-track anywhere. No more relying on heavy, cumbersome equipment because DYNAPRO Resistance Bands fit discreetly in your briefcase or travel bag.
- EASY TO USE in any commercial or home gym. Use them singly or together for physical therapy, strength training and core exercises. Enhance flexibility and stamina without learning complex new...
The next resistance bands are from OlarHike and offer a versatility that is going to help you achieve your goals.
To reach those goals, you need high-quality equipment designed with features that are specifically intended to do just that. With the OlarHike resistance bands, you can rest assured that you are working with the best. These bands include the following standout features:
- Multiple stackable resistance bands of varying resistance levels
- Easy to use no matter what level of experience
- Comes with a 2-year warranty
- Built with dual-layered, high-grade material (latex)
You will be able to take advantage of the multiple resistance levels for quite a while as well as these are some of the most durable on our list. Plus, when you're finished, it is easy and straightforward to store these compact exercise aides.
These budget-friendly resistance bands offer you the quality of a much higher-end product for a price that will fit almost everyone's budget. For that low price tag, you get accessories that will help you increase the versatility of these bands like a door hanger and handles.
One thing of note is that although they are made of high-grade material, that material is latex, and if you are sensitive to latex, you may want to look at some of the other options available to you. There are a few other complaints that have been brought to the forefront by other users. There seems to be an inconsistency with the resistance level demarcations, and the handles themselves have had a few durability issues.
These resistance bands from OlarHike may have a few drawbacks, all of which are not consistent across the board, but in the end, they are simply a well-built and efficient option to add a little resistance to your exercise and build that muscle
- Included with bands is a door hanger and handles
- Wide variety of resistance levels
- Easy to store
- Latex may cause a reaction
- Issues with resistance levels accuracy
- Problems with handle durability
- Varying Resistance Levels. This resistance bands set offers a total of 14 tension levels that range from 10 Lbs to 150 Lbs max, when combing the various weight. This set meets your exercise needs...
- Maximize Your Strength Training. Simply by shorten or lengthen the resistance bands to tone your chest, abs, biceps, legs, glutes, and more. You are able to do a variety of effective training for the...
- For Every Kind of Workout. 3 types of accessories come with the resistance bands' help to match with different levels of exercise plan, so you can target every single muscle group at home easily.
Our last entry comes with the approval of pro-athletes and physical therapist from around the world. The pull-up assistance bands from Draper offer a lot of great qualities.
To make it on our list, these brands needed to have a high standard of quality and offer some fantastic features. These bands from Draper do just that and bring with them an overall ability to enhance your work out to new levels. These features that do this are:
- Multiple bands with varying resistance levels (2 – 200 lbs.)
- Extended length (41")
- Crafted in high-grade latex for durability
- Lifetime warranty
- Included is a free e-guide for workout suggestions
These easy-on-the-wallet resistance bands are a great choice. They are a solid construction that leads to no seam. This, in turn, means that there are few if any weak points that may snap while using them. Unlike many others, there is no rubber smell either, which is a check in the right box, and the colors this set comes in are vibrant and easy to understand when looking for the resistance levels.
This kit comes with the standard five bands offering multiple resistance levels to challenge you no matter what level you are at.
They are certainly vibrant, but unfortunately, there have been some reports of these colors bleeding onto the skin and other surfaces. Though that is a small thing, the next two issues may make you think twice even though they are not a sentiment shared by all that have purchased these bands. There have been a few complaints about the overall durability of the bands and that the resistance labeled on the bands is not wholly accurate.
What this all boils down to in the end is the overall effectiveness of these bands. Though there may be a few drawbacks, none of them are issues shared by everyone, and that should make your choice a little simpler.
- Wide range of resistance levels
- Built with no seams
- Lack of smell
- Vibrant colors
- Colors may bleed onto other surfaces
- Issues with durability
- Issues with resistance accuracy
- From light to heavy resistance (2-200 lbs) - To choose the best bands for your needs, check out the band tension chart in the images to the left.
- A variety of exercises can be performed - for physical therapy, rehabilitation, pull-ups, stretching, strength training, powerlifting and etc.
- Bands are 41" inches long and are made of high-quality latex material built to last for years.
Best Resistance Bands of 2021 - Buying Guide
The above-mentioned resistance bands are all excellent choices, but how do you decide which one is for you? Well, several factors lend themselves to making a superb resistance band, and each is broken down below. By making sure you use this buyer's guide as a checklist while considering which resistance bands you want to go with, you will find the ones that will leave you with absolutely no buyer's remorse.
Types of Resistance Bands
When you are looking at resistance bands, you may think there are only a few options, but there are more choices than you may think. Here are the different types you can choose from.
This can be either a therapy band or a fit loop band. Instead of tubing, this style of resistance band is flat. These are often seen in use at rehabilitation centers or in Pilates classes.
These have an ankle strap attached to a tubular band. They are great for lower body workouts.
These are sometimes referred to as bowtie resistance bands and are shaped like a figure 8. Each loop will be fitted with two handles on the sides and a third one in the center. These are great for your upper body workouts. Typically, they measure at around 20" long.
These also use a latex tube but have a metal clip so that you can change out the handles. They come in multiple lengths and densities. These are one of the easiest to take with you as they pack away easily and are lightweight to carry around.
These, as the name implies, are constructed in a circle and may have either handles or a stiffer section on the ring to grasp. They tend to measure about a foot long and are great for exercising the lower body.
These are made with one loop and have different lengths to help support the offered resistance. These, as you may have guessed, are great for pull-ups.
These are the ones you see at the local gym or fitness center. They are a latex tube with handles made of plastic. These are great for arms and the upper body as well as the lower body. These will have different resistance levels that can be figured out using the different colors.
You can tell this by the color of the band, and it relates to the level of resistance provided by the band itself. Here is a quick guide on how to read the colors:
- Yellow = Extra light
- Red = Light
- Green = Medium
- Blue = Heavy
Resistance Band Size
This is a direct relation to the length of the band itself. There are many lengths available, and each has its own levels of resistance. If you are unsure of what length the band is, it is always best to go with longer rather than shorter. If you feel these are not as efficient as you would like, you can always alter them a bit, which you can't do if they are too short.
You want your resistance bands to last as long as they can. After all, you are going to be putting them through their paces. So, when looking at the bands, it is best to make sure that you try to find the highest-grade materials as well as bands with anti-snap technology.
This means getting the best value for your budget. When you are looking for a good set of resistance bands, the high end of the price spectrum may be more than you are prepared to pay. Look for a mix of good value and resistance versus how much the product costs. A good general rule of thumb is to buy the best product that you can for the budget that you have. Typically, you get what you pay for. The cheaper the resistance bands, the lower the quality. And this will cost you more in the long run.
Best Resistance Bands of 2021 FAQ's
What are the Resistance Bands?
These are a tool used in workouts that are constructed of a lightweight rubber material that is used to increase the resistance or contraction of the muscles chosen to work on. The resistance that each band gives you helps to build strength as you pull against it. They started as a tool to assist in the rehabilitation of damaged muscles, but have now been integrated into many gyms.
How to use Resistance Bands?
There are many types of resistance bands, and each has its uses. Generally, you would attach the band to a solid structure or stand on it to work whichever muscle group you have chosen to do. Then as you begin to build muscle, you move up the resistance ladder just like you would with traditional weights.
How to Choose Resistance Bands?
You want to choose a resistance band that suits the exercise as well as offers a bit of a challenge when it comes to that exercise and the number of reps you plan to execute. There is a color system, and that can help you find the right resistance level as well. As for purchasing you them, you can check out the buyer's guide above for more in-depth information.
Do Resistance Bands Work for Weight Loss?
Any exercise is good for weight loss, but with resistance bands, you can up your game a bit. By strengthening your muscles, you will be helping boost both your metabolism and burn fat. This is a great budget-friendly way to get on the right path, and it is a lightweight tool that is super convenient as well.
How to Anchor Resistance Bands?
You can get more out of your resistance bands if you anchor them and there is an attachment that does this. These attachments anchor your resistance band to a door; for a better, more precise guide check out this video: