A 10k run is a favorite running distance for many reasons. It’s an ideal starting point for runners who aspire to run both half and full marathons, as well as giving amateurs an insight into how much preparation and endurance a longer race takes to complete.
Even if you’re not racing competitively, a 10K training run is an excellent workout distance to build stamina and to see just how far you can push yourself to achieve new running goals.
However, there’s no such thing as a ‘one size fits all’ running shoe. Rather, when it comes to running, all sorts of things come into play such as your natural gait, weight, and the surfaces you plan to run on, so you need to make sure that you find the right running shoes to fit you.
To help you make a selection, we’ve handpicked 5 running shoes, as well as creating a helpful buyer’s guide area to help you make an informed decision. Ready to beat your personal bests and smash your 10k goal? Let’s start!
In a hurry? Put your best foot forward with our top pick:
Combining a lightweight, featherweight frame with optimum responsiveness and comfort, the Mizuno Wave Rider 23’s take our first place. Loved by amateur and professional runners alike, these performance-enhancing shoes feature the patented smooth ride Midsole and Mizuno’s Wave cushioning to deliver optimum shock absorption, a strong-hold and adjustable fit that moves with your natural gait, all the while remaining cool and breathable.
Here are some features that make it great for long-distance running:
- Innovative eyelets allow you to secure the shoe securely around your foot.
- Its U4ic Midsole is able to provide the support that lasts each mile, as well as supporting your natural gait to get the most out of your strides
- Uses parallel CLOUDWAVE for superb cushioning and shock attenuation
- Designed with wave construction in the base, the WaveKnit’s provide a natural and dynamic fit, contouring securely around your fit, all the while ensuring that your feet remain cool
Best Running Shoes for 10K Runs
OUR TOP PICK
The Mizuno Wave Rider 23 is among one of the best long distance running shoes out there thanks to its supportive ride, exceptional shock attenuation and lightweight design.
Regardless of whether you’re new to the running world or regularly enter long-distance competitions, the Mizuno Wave Rider 23 WaveKnit Running Shoes are a favorite among all kinds of runners because they’re reliable and performance-enhancing.
With wave construction as it's base, the Wave Rider 23’s ensure a natural and responsive fit without feeling restrictive or tight. When in action, the WaveKnit upper design stretches and moves with your foot like no other knit running shoe out there, all the while remaining breathable and cool.
The firm cushioning and excellent structure lend this shoe a peppy feel, while also feeling stable and comfortable, even as you begin to come to the end of the run. A sole made of U4ic and U4icX foams provide a comfort and quick response that will help you to maximize your strides, all the while preventing fatigue in your feet and lower legs.
Additionally, to ensure optimum comfort and to help you remain energized, these innovative running shoes from Mizuno feature integrated CLOUDWAVE technology to provide exceptional cushioning around the entire foot, as well as working to absorb shock, so your feet and legs don’t have to.
Runners will also be pleased to know that they’re made for both men and women. Just click here for the male version.
- Reasonably priced
- Provides a natural fit with excellent stretch, for a snug hold that won’t feel uncomfortable
- Able to regulate temperature to keep your feet feeling fresh and cool
- Delivers optimum shock absorption
- They’re not waterproof
- Inspired by our Iconic wave technology, Mizuno introduces the 2nd WAVEKNIT. With wave construction as it's base, WAVEKNIT provides a natural and dynamic fit through stretch and hold abilities
- Waveknit upper design stretches and moves with your foot like no other knit running shoe out there while remaining breathable and cool
- Mizuno WAVE: Wave sets the standard for running shoe technologies. Given that it less reliant on midsole foam due to wave technology your last mile in the rider should feel as great as the first
Another excellent shoe for long-distance runners is the ASICS Men’s Gel Nimbus 21 Running Shoes.
Made with rearfoot and forefoot GEL Technology Cushioning System, these durable shoes are able to attenuate shock upon impact, allowing you to feel energized with each stride you make, while the the Impact Guidance System Technology works to enhance your natural gait (across all foot transitions including heel strike to toe-off) helping you to power through your run more efficiently, with less fatigue.
Not only that, the Guidance Line Midsole Technology consists of a vertical flex groove that decouples the tooling across the line of progression in order to boost your gait while providing your midfoot comfort and support.
Ensuring that confidence is instilled with every step you make, the ASICS Men’s Gel Nimbus 21 Running Shoes contain an AHAR outsole that contains high abrasion rubber strategically placed in specific areas of the outsole that not only ensures superior durability, but also provides exceptional grip across multiple surfaces. Plus, thanks to the pronounced grooves, the Gel Nimbus 21’s offer a secure and responsive ride across uneven surfaces, too.
- Sleek and stylish design
- High abrasion rubber helps to ensure durability and traction, making them ideal for outdoor 10k runs
- Enhances the foot’s natural gait
- Provides exceptional shock absorption to lower fatigue and the chances of strain or injury
- FlyteFoam Propel Technology - ASICS energetic foam formulation that provides supreme bounce thanks to a unique elastomer compound.
- AHAR Outsole - Acronym for ASICS High Abrasion Rubber. Placed in critical areas of the outsole for exceptional durability.
- Reflectivity - Contains reflective materials designed to enhance visibility during low light hours.
If you’re looking for a long distance running shoe that is adaptable over a variety of terrains, the ASICS Women’s Gel-Venture 5 Running Shoe is a superb choice to consider.
Ideal for 10k runs, the Gel Venture 5 is a durable shoe with optimised cushioning and support to ensure that you are given the support you need while still allowing for a comfortable and smooth fit.
To help propel you forward and help you cover the desired distance, the Gel Venture 5s feature a 10mm heel gradient that is able to effectively shift your body mass forward in order to reduce strain on your lower body.
Not only that, RearFoot Gel Cushioning System Technology has been added into the midsole of the shoe, which is able to absorb the impact of shock during moments of high impact, allowing the foot to safely move through its natural gait cycle to maximize your strides with more energy and power.
Ensuring that these running shoes can go the distance, ASICS have used high abrasion rubber (known as AHAR) to construct the outsole. The AHAR Rubber is strategically placed in areas of the outsole to offer unparalleled durability. They also feature reserved lugs which are able to provide both uphill and downhill traction across various different terrains, making this shoe ideal for 10k runs that are outdoors.
For added convenience, a removable sock liner has been added inside of the shoe which offers a better fit around the foot and extra cushioning for a comfortable, secure wear.
- Constructed with AHAR Rubber to ensure maximum durability
- RearFoot Gel Cushioning System Technology will absorb shock and help maximize your natural gait
- 10mm heel gradient is able to effectively propel you forward and add more power to your strides
- May not be suitable for those with wide feet
- Rugged neutral runner in mesh with bright overlays
- GEL Cushioning System
- Removable foam sockliner accommodates orthotics
If you’re a neutral runner on the lookout for a shoe that offers all the benefits of a lightweight design without compromising on comfort, we think that you’ll love the Brooks Men’s Ghost 12 Running Shoes.
Delivering a smooth and stable ride that you can rely on, the neutral support design provides cushioning that is able to keep your foot supported as you transition through your natural gait, all the while energizing each stride and maintaining power.
The BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT Cushioning Technologies work together to provide the ideal amount of softness to the heel and soles of your feet without sacrificing any responsiveness and durability. Thanks to this, the Ghost 12’s are able to counteract the tiring effects of shock upon impact by absorbing the brunt of the force and allowing you to focus on the most important part: reaching your 10k goal without feeling strain or fatigue across your feet and lower legs.
Another feature that stands out to us is the Segmented Crash Pad, which is an integrated system of shock absorbers that are designed to encourage a smooth heel-to-toe transition, as well as a precise landing. Plus, thanks to the carefully engineered mesh and 3D Fit Print, the Ghost 12’s are designed to fit so snug that you forget you’re even wearing them, making them a great choice for neutral runners prioritizing comfort.
- Lace up design ensures a snug and secure fit
- Ensures responsiveness and durability thanks to the technologies used
- Ideal choice for neutral runners
- Very comfortable and supportive
- Some have found the sole to be rigid
- THIS SHOE IS FOR: Neutral runners looking for a lightweight shoe and a smooth ride without sacrificing cushioning. Whether you’re a Ghost loyalist or are lacing one up for the first time, you’ll...
- SUPPORT AND CUSHION: The neutral support type provides high energizing cushioning. Ideal for road running, cross training, the gym or wherever you might want to take them! Predecessor: Ghost 11
- BALANCED, SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA and DNA LOFT cushioning work together to provide a just-right softness underfoot without losing responsiveness and durability - yet it feels lighter than ever.
If you’re a runner who needs a balance of both flexibility & cushioning, we recommend the Under Armour Women’s Charged Assert 8 Running Shoes.
These lightweight shoes are great for long distance running and offer excellent support, all the while delivering complete breathability thanks to them featuring a mesh upper.
Built with Charged Cushioning Technology, the Under Armour Charged Assert 8 Running Shoes will be able to protect against shock throughout the entirety of your 10K run, protecting your feet and legs from strain and fatigue.
The durable leather overlays integrated within the design offer additional stability, while securing your midfoot and protecting it from impact force. The innovative EVA sockliner is able to provide a soft and supportive comfort, utilizing compression molded foam for even greater responsiveness & durability, stopping you from overexerting yourself and wasting energy.
Thanks to the tough, synthetic sole that features strategically placed rubber in high impact zones, the Charged Assert 8’s ensure excellent durability and are able to withstand the demands of a 10k run, while the 10mm offset placed within the heel will help to shift your body weight forward and propel your strides with more speed and power.
- 10mm offset helps to propel you forward when you need it most
- EVA sockliner absorbs shock and provides cushiony comfort
- Its lightweight design offers complete breathability
- Some users have stated that they find them to be too bulky
- NEUTRAL: For runners who need a balance of flexibility & cushioning
- Lightweight mesh upper with 3-color digital print delivers complete breathability
- Durable leather overlays for stability & that locks in your midfoot
Best Running Shoes for 10K Runs - Buying Guide
Before making a purchase, here are some helpful information on what to keep in mind when selecting a new pair of running shoes for your 10k runs:
The running shoes that you select should offer excellent grip, and the amount of grip that you need all comes down to the type of terrain you plan on running across.
If you are doing a trail run, you are going to need more traction and grip than if you are planning on competing in a road race. When selecting a pair of long distance or marathon running shoes, you’ll find that the two most common types are trail or road running. Trail running shoes are suited towards uneven and harsh terrains (think nature trail, muddy fields etc.) while road running shoes are geared towards flat surfaces.
The depth and sizes of the grip on the bottom of the soles will vary from shoe to shoe. Generally speaking, though, larger and more pronounced lugs will offer you the greatest grip and stability. So, if you plan on completing a 10k run in a rural area or across a variety of different terrains, you’ll want to consider a pair of long distance terrain shoes.
On the other hand, if you're running 10k on a treadmill or across flat roads, you could opt for a pair of road-running or workout running shoes, as they often have a flat, rubber sole with less lugs that are better suited to providing excellent grip across smooth, even surfaces.
Arguably, this is one of the most important features to keep in mind before purchasing a pair of running shoes suitable for covering a marathon distance. The quality of cushioning makes all the difference when running because it is able to keep you feeling comfortable and supported, while ensuring that the brunt of shock caused from the impact of your strides hitting the ground does not negatively impact your performance. Thanks to quality cushioning within the shoe’s design, you’ll find yourself being able to not only cover more distance and then some, but also have more energy saved for those moments when you need it most.
When checking out different running shoes, the quality of the cushioning used is usually indicated by the technologies used, such as the EVA sockliner found within the Underarmour Assert 8’s, or the GEL Technology Cushioning System found within ASICS running shoes.
The last thing you want to do is have to drop out of the race halfway through because you’re in pain or have maxed out your energy, so make sure that the running shoes you select offer premium cushioning.
This should go without saying, but your running shoes need to be able to support you throughout the entirety of the run. Therefore, keep an eye out for running shoes that come with extra tough soles that will be able to easily withstand the demands of a long distance run, training session or marathon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many miles should you run in shoes?
On average, many running experts recommend that you replace your running shoes every 500 to 750 kilometers, which roughly equates to anywhere between 300-500 miles. If you’re a regular long distance runner, you’ll likely find that your running shoes need to be replaced every 6 months or so (sometimes less).
How long do running shoes last?
There is no official expiry date for your running shoes. However, if you begin to notice that your ankles, knees, or hips are beginning to get quite achy after completing a running session, this is a surefire sign that you need to swap out your current shoes for new ones because they are not performing as they once were and suggests that the cushioning is no longer present.
Additionally, you may also begin to notice soreness in your arches and soles of your feet, which indicates that your shoes have worn down and are no longer able to prevent shock from causing aches and pains. Another clear indication that it’s time to buy new running shoes is if the treads or lugs have started to wear away. Not only does this mean that your shoes won't be able to move in sync with your natural gait, but it also poses a safety hazard because you are risking slippage.