Whether you spend all day serving customers, helping patients in a busy ER or you love to go for walks in the outdoors with family, there’s no denying that busy days that involve standing and walking put a huge amount of stress on your feet.
If you wear unsupportive shoes, you could develop strained arches, joint pain, and other types of painful injuries.
Luckily, there are plenty of shoes out there that are perfect for people who stand all day—you just have to know where to find them!
To help you out, we’ve spent some time compiling a roundup of our top five favorite shoes suitable to take you from day to night and back again, as well as a handy buyer’s guide area to make sure you make the perfect footwear choice for you.
In a hurry? Feel like you’re walking on clouds with our top pick
Why they are our top pick
If you’re pinched for time and need a pair of shoes you can count on to support your feet throughout the day, the Nike Tanjun Running Shoes are an excellent choice.
These classic sneakers have a practical black exterior which is ideal for all types of workplaces, can withstand plenty of scuffing, and also has the stylish Nike tick on the sides.
Here are some standout features that make these sneakers great for standing all day:
- They have a comfortable mesh upper for optimum breathability that will stop your feet from overheating.
- A lightly padded collar and tongue will keep your ankles and top of your foot nice and cool all day long.
- The wedge foam sole will provide maximum support to your heel and soles of your feet, allowing you to stand for prolonged periods of time without risking strain or injury.
- The Tanjun’s lightweight design won’t leave you feeling weighed down.
In particular, users love the comfortable, spacious toe box and extra thick sole that's made to support your feet for the entire day - they’re a bestseller for a reason!
Top 5 Best Shoes for Standing All Day
OUR TOP PICK
Offering affordability without compromising on quality, the Nike Tanjun Shoes are at the top of our list.
If you are looking for a versatile pair of shoes that can see you through a busy workday, while also being suitable for more casual use, these might be the right sneakers for you. They are visually simplistic and stylish, but they're made in a complex way to ensure your comfort. This lightweight shoe is perfect for running or walking. It has a gummy-style sole with breathable mesh that gives you additional comfort and support.
In Japanese, "Tanjun" means "simplicity" and the Nike Tanjun has been made to embody elegant minimalism while also offering maximum support. It has a practical yet stylish design that is convenient and durable, with a sleek upper that gives it a sense of style.
The upper of these shoes are made with a comfortable mesh, while the round toe silhouette will keep your toes supported without squishing them. The wedge foam sole ensures that your heels and soles will be protected from the ground, allowing you to stand for prolonged periods of time without any strain. What’s better, Nike has made these unisex! Click here for the men’s version.
- Very affordable and longlasting
- Available in multiple colorways to accommodate to different environments and workplaces
- It has a stylish, low-profile design that will pair nicely with all kinds of outfits and uniforms
- Its lightweight design won’t weigh you down
- Some users have found that the Tanjun sizing can sometimes run small
Even though the Adidas Cloudfoam Shoes are a great pair of running shoes, they are also one of the very best pairs of sneakers you could choose for standing all day thanks to their supportive design and comfortable interior.
For starters, the tough midsole and outsole design will provide an excellent amount of support (which we’re sure will be appreciated on those longer days) while their memory foam sock liner and Cloudfoam cushioning will work together to keep your feet comfortable and free from strain.
Not only that, the fully lace-up style is practical and quick, while the rubber sole will not only keep your feet protected from the ground but will also provide excellent grip on slippery or unsafe surfaces. It has also been carefully crafted to ‘hug the foot’ for maximum support that won’t leave you feeling restricted.
What’s more, you can get this shoe in a variety of different colorways to accommodate all types of outfits or workplaces, while the lightweight design will keep you light on your feet and won’t weigh you down. What’s not to love? This is a great choice for walking outdoors or for helping you get through that 8-hour shift.
- The insoles and sock liners offer the highest level of comfort
- They are stylish and practical, making them ideal for work as well as casual wear
- Lightweight design
- Some users have found that the rubber soles ‘squeak’ on certain surfaces
- For women only
- Stretchy, mesh running shoes with extra cushioning for all-day comfort
- Stretchable mesh upper for breathability
- Combined Cloudfoam midsole and outsole for step-in comfort and superior cushioning
If you’re after a pair of shoes that will provide a cushiony feel with the most comfort possible, we think that you’ll love the Brooks Addiction Walker Shoe.
Offering both support and comfort, the Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar design has been created to act as a support system to your entire body, not just your feet and lower body. When wearing them, the Addiction Walker Sneakers will guide your body in its natural path of motion which, in turn, will leave you feeling comfortable all day.
Not only that, but theBioMoGo DNA Technology is also able to adapt to your stride, weight, and speed to reduce the impact on your joints and allow you to focus on your daily activities, whether that be at work or play.
As well as this, the certified innovative outsole is slip-resistant and provides excellent traction, while its stylish and durable design comes in multiple colorways including all black, making these a fantastic option for the workplace as they will look smart and non-distracting paired with your uniform.
- Very tough and durable design
- Biodegradable midsole
- Comfortable and supportive
- Rubber soles are slip-resistant
- Non-breathable design
- For women only
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT: Our Extended Progressive Diagonal Rollbar (PDRB) is a support system for your entire body, guiding and keeping your body in its natural path of motion.
- SLIP-RESISTANT: An innovative outsole that's been certified (SATRA TM144:2011) for slip resistance provides excellent traction.
- SOFT CUSHIONING: BioMoGo DNA adapts to your stride, weight and speed, to make every step comfortable and reduce impact on your joints.
Next up we’ve selected the Skechers Men’s Afterburn Loafer. These shoes are one of the very best options for those in search of support and comfort while standing all day due to their super soft and cushiony memory-foam insoles.
Made to last, their thick foam wedge soles offer excellent grip across multiple surfaces, while the comfortable foam support system won’t wear down each time you wear them. The slip-on closure design is made to support your entire foot throughout the day, and will actively work to keep your lower body free from any fatigue or strain.
Further, these sneakers have been designed with tough materials to provide a stable and supportive design that will keep your arch in shape while still keeping your foot in a comfortable and natural position. Additionally, the Skechers Afterburn will also encourage you to stand with an improved posture.
Additionally, another feature that we like about these lace-up sneakers is that the top part of the shoe is made from mesh fabric with a synthetic leather overlay to keep your foot supported appropriately, while also keeping it cool thanks to the ventilation and air-flow allowed by the mesh.
- High-quality design with tough and durable materials
- Practical yet stylish
- Ensures excellent grip and traction on a variety of different surfaces, including slippery
- Quite bulky, some users find these shoes can weigh them down
Offering a seamless blend of performance, aesthetic style, and the utmost comfort for those who are on their feet all day, the Skechers Men’s Go Walk Max Sneaker has made our roundup!
Ideal for those who have a job that requires them to stand, or someone that likes to partake in athletic walking, the GOwalk Max Walking Sneakers feature a mesh fabric upper and a cushioned, supportive sole design guaranteed to support you throughout the day.
The fabric trim and cushioned footbed are made from a proprietary technology that cushions your foot all day long. They also feature a high-tech midsole, which makes sure your feet get optimal impact absorption. These shoes also offer a padded heel cup made with memory foam to give you a comfortable, cushioned fit.
One of the best features of these shoes is the excellent flexibility and responsiveness the soles offer to improve your walking experience. The Skechers Go Walk Max walking shoes are sought out for their utmost comfort and endurance.
- Fully supportive, lace-up design
- Memory foam, cushioned insole
- Versatile style that can be worn to work or casually
- Some users have found that this style can run a little big
- Get the maximum comfort and cushioning for athletic walking with the Skechers GOwalk Max. Mesh fabric upper with cushioned, supportive sole design. Designed with Skechers Performance technology and...
- UPPER: Super lightweight mesh fabric upper for ideal fit. Solid weave mesh fabric toe and heel panels for stability. Synthetic overlay at laces for added durability. Extra padded heel for walking...
- MIDSOLE/CUSHION: 5GEN sole - proprietary lightweight injection-molded compound with memory retention helps absorb impact. Skechers GOwalk Max midsole and outsole for high level cushioning and support.
Best Shoes for Standing All Day - Buying Guide
Now that you’ve learned about our top shoes for standing all day (and hopefully found the perfect pair for you), let's look at some individual features and considerations that you should know about before making a purchase:
One of the most important factors to consider is how comfortable your shoes are! The last thing that you want is to get halfway through your busy day to only realize how uncomfortable and unsupportive your shoes are.
You put a lot of pressure on your lower body and back when you’re standing all day, so it is important to make sure that the shoes you purchase are as comfortable and supportive as possible.
For this reason, it’s important to make sure that your shoes are made of high-quality materials that will be able to support your body weight, heels and ankles to reduce any strain that standing for a long period of time can cause.
Another feature to consider is the amount of arch support that your shoes will provide. Generally speaking, different people have different types of foot arches, so it’s important that they’re well supported when walking to prevent unnecessary strain on your foot!
Proper arch support will help to lower the chance of pronation (Pronation is the natural movement of your foot as you walk or run. To absorb the shock when your foot hits the ground, it normally rolls inwards).
So, with that being said, a reduction of weight on your Achilles tendon will reduce your chance of getting an ankle inversion or eversion sprain. Additionally, having proper arch support can also work to reduce your body's need to exert itself because the shoes will work with your body to move you forward.
With proper arch support, your shoes can absorb the shock that can impact your foot each time you take a step, encourage a better posture, and provide better stability.
A pair of shoes that you plan on standing in all day need to work just as hard as you do. It’s really important that your shoes are constructed of high-quality materials that are made to last, will be able to deliver optimum support, and will be able to easily withstand the trials of everyday wear without compromising on comfort.
When searching for a pair of shoes for standing all day, we recommend keeping an eye out for shoes that are made of tough, long lasting materials (such as textiles or leather) because these materials are able to serve you for a long period of time before needing to be replaced.
Here are some additional points to keep in mind:
- Preferably, try to make sure that the outsole design is wide and flat: An outsole with full, even contact across the ground is important as it helps to distribute your weight as opposed to uneven soles which can be uncomfortable when standing for a long period of time.
- Additionally, the midsole should be cushioned or have some kind of foam. This is because you need a comfortable shoe if you’re going to be standing all day. In particular, the forefoot and heel area should have cushioning or foam because you will constantly transfer weight between the heel and the ball of the foot.
- If possible, try to avoid narrow fitting shoes because they can be uncomfortable during long hours of standing, so you need a shoe that will offer support with any restriction.
- Go for a pair of shoes with a good grip across different surfaces. Most jobs that involve standing are located indoors so you need a pair of shoes with good traction. Additionally, if you like to go on nature hikes, you might want to find a pair of rubber sole shoes that will provide excellent grip across an earthy, muddy ground.
Best Shoes for Standing All Day - FAQ's
What are the things to look for when choosing a pair of shoes for standing in all day?
There are plenty of different features to look for when choosing the right pair of shoes for standing all day. For starters, make sure that shoes are the correct fit for your foot size (poorly fitted shoes can lead to blisters, corns, and stress fractures).
You also want to make sure that there is good support for your type of arch (which could be high, neutral, or low). By selecting a pair of shoes that will deliver proper support for your entire foot, you won’t be running the risk of putting any undue stress on just one part of your foot, which can lead to injuries - especially if you plan on standing all day due to work.
The best shoes for standing all day will also come with a supportive cushioning system that will cocoon your feet, providing stability and comfort. Additionally, if you’re unsure of your arch type or you would like to know which type of shoe style will be able to provide ample support for you, we recommend going to get your feet measured by a professional as they will be able to talk about your arch, and you will learn if it is high, neutral, or low.